Thursday, February 17, 2011

"When we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us, and in my case, one of them consented to marry me. Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

There are always people around us who influence our lives in many different ways, most for the better, and will always help us to be better people. Some in small ways, and some in large. I think of these as angels, and I feel so much gratitude toward Heavenly Father for sending those people to minister to us, and help us in all different aspects of life. I, like everyone else, have had many of these people in my life. I feel so grateful that I have and I know my life has been bettered by some of these special people in particular.

One group of these people come from the same family. Each member of the family is different, but all in different ways took me in during a hard part of my life and taught me about so many different things. This family showed me by example what it was to live a life as Heavenly Father wants us to, and especially about family and what that really means. At times, I think of this family as angels, because they stepped in when I needed love, kindness, and someone to catch me if I fell. I feel eternally grateful for these people and the ways in which they have changed and improved my life. I can say without hesitation that my life, perspective, and happiness has been altered by their good example and the kindness they have shown me.

Recently, the Mother of this family has been diagnosed with breast cancer and has begun a journey through surgery and chemotherapy that has really touched my heart as well as Mike's. She has spent her entire life planting happiness and hope in the lives of others, through her family as well as her work. At the time of her diagnosis, she was without insurance, and has a large burden placed upon her with all the treatment that she needs.

Here's the great news though, 
We can all help! 

With help from the foundation, Anything For a Friend, a fundraising event is being planned for June 11, 2011. The event will be a dinner as well as a live and silent auction. It is going to be so fun and more importantly, so inspiring to everyone that attends. At this point, we are looking for lots of donations and help to put this on. So....If you know ANYONE that would like to donate ANYTHING, please let me know. Also, here is a link where you can access all kinds of information about the event, and how to help:


"In the process of praying for those angels to attend us, may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves—with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith and “the covenant wherewith [we] have covenanted.”  Perhaps then we can be emissaries sent from God when someone, perhaps a Primary child, is crying, “Darkness … afraid … river … alone.”"

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love you!